A light-hearted account of what goes on in our tiny corner of the world
At the head of Loch Inchard, a side road follows the northern shore to the fishing port of Kinlochbervie, 4 miles (6.5 km) northwest of Rhiconich. Set in a rugged rocky inlet lays Kinlochbervie, a major fishing village which sees its catch exported all over the world. The village was developed from a hamlet after 1947 for white fish and lobster fishing. Trekking around the moors is a good way of seeing the wildlife in this area.
The centre of life is very definitely the harbour. Engineering and mussel farming are also important. Kinlochbervie, until a few years ago was one of the busiest ports in Scotland and unemployment was unheard of because not only were the male population employed aboard the fishing boats but Kinlochbervie at the height of the “fishing industry” boasted four Haulage Businesses all involved in the transportation of fish both nationally and internationally, but sadly with the decline in the Fishing Industry Kinlochbervie is now a shadow of its former self.
The old harbour is on the north side of the peninsula at Loch Clash. This was opened in 1886 and abandoned when the new one was completed. It was rebuilt in 1988 when Prince Charles opened the new harbour.
Beyond the fishing port a narrow road continues west where there are magnificent beaches about 3 miles on from Kinlochbervie, at Oldshoremore, the sands are about half a mile wide backed by large dunes. Oldshore Mor itself is worth a visit, with its beautiful beach and unusual rock formations. There’s a well-equipped campsite at Oldshoremore
A minor road continues through Oldshore Beg that overlooks the uninhabited island of Eilean an Roin Mor and terminates at the small beach at. Polin. Continuing form Oldshoremore to Blairmore (where there is a sign to access Sandwood Bay) that lies near Balchrick where the road forks; the south fork dropping to a little jetty at Droman.
A footpath goes over the to the south to Ploin beach and from the top can be seen the island of Eilean an Roin Mor and Eilean an Roin Beag just off shore. The north fork continues to Sheigra, the last habitation on the west coast and a small hamlet of the western coastline.